Wednesday 2 April 2014

Insecure Writers Support Group: Starting Over

Greetings and it is time for another Insecure Writers Support Group. All information about this fine group can be found here but suffice to say it is a great place to share your insecurities and worries with a group of like-minded individuals!

This month I want to talk about Starting Over. That might be with a manuscript or with an agent search. Perhaps you part ways with a critique partner and have to find a new one. There's a lot of dusting yourself off and starting over in writing, I feel!

I have started to draft a new manuscript. It is lovely to be in the throes of a new idea, working it out, enjoy the first rush and tumble of words on the page. At the same time it is bringing up a lot of insecurity: how did I do this before? They are rubbish! I don't have time! Etc. It is difficult comparing a newly drafted chapter with the polished, edited chapters of my previous manuscript.

I am trying to keep going, blinkered to worries.

Any tips for starting over?

10 comments:

  1. I just try to keep my head down and keep writing. I constantly have to remind myself that it's only a first draft, and as such, doesn't need to be perfect. Yet.

    Have fun with the new idea...I really do love that first rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep writing! :) The first draft doesn't have to be perfect (as I have to keep reminding myself!) - everything starts out as a rough first draft. Just enjoy the feeling of writing a new idea, without worrying too much about the quality. That's what editing's for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just know it will eventually look just as good as the polished one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just starting revisions on my NaNo novel, and I would love to be starting a whole new novel right now, but then I wouldn't get anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes starting over is the best thing you can do. It's amazing how much we learn from first starts, that we never knew we were learning. Then, we tear it all out (I'm a crocheter you know), and start all over again. It's amazing how much better things turn out, once you fix your stitches, learning from the okay, but not exactly what you wanted, project the first time.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Viklit! Just stifle your inner editor and let loose on the page. Don't worry about what it's going to look like when it's done. It's a first draft. First drafts are meant to be torn apart at the editing phase. I know it's easier said than done. I have that problem too; I almost didn't make it through NaNo last November. Somehow I managed to squeak by. Good luck! Lily-Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I think I'm on some kind of merry go round. Start, write. . .write. . .write, start again. Are you on the horse in front of me? If so, keep going. I'm right behind you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I echo Lilica- suck in your writing, it's the only way a first draft becomes a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have started so my tip is keep going and tell that polished manuscript to stay in it's place. I plan to start over an unfinished draft manuscript for Junowrimo this year so that's my start over coming up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. M.J. Fifield - thank you for your comment. you are right it doesn't have to be perfect.

    Emma Adams- you are right, I mustn't worry so from the off!

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - thank you!

    Laura Clipson - good luck with revisions!

    M. J. Joachim - love the crochet image! :)

    Lilica Blake - you are right I need to not worry so much about the first draft. thank you!

    cleemckenzie - ha indeed I think I am right next to you!

    Beverly Fox - thank you for the advice!

    Sheena-kay Graham - I'm keeping on going! thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I'd love to know what you think! :)